Treasure City Thrift is Hiring!
We are seeking an additional Collective Member for 20-35 hours per week. The work is retail and materials processing (assisting customers, sorting incoming and outgoing donations, creating and maintaining displays and storage, sales and special events, locating materials for the groups we support, etc.) and administrative (promotion, bookkeeping, communication, organizational planning, etc.).
Please submit applications online by Sunday, May 4th.
People of Color, queer folks, and radically-minded individuals are strongly encouraged to apply!
Collective Member Job Description
Weekend and evening availability is a must! The pay starts at $15 per hour, after 6 months is raised to $16 per hour, then is increased $1 every 6 months until you reach the highest paid worker.
We ask for a two-year commitment beginning after a 6 months apprenticeship is completed. We want someone who is interested in building this organization with us over the long-term.
Benefits include up to 4 weeks paid vacation (depending on hours worked), flex-time, the option to complete some work from home, 20% discount on all store merchandise and a supportive work environment which values the sustainability and well-being of each employee.
We work very hard, but derive a huge amount of satisfaction from our jobs. There are many opportunities to learn new skills, work creatively to develop new ideas around reuse and mutual aid, connect with radical organizations and support their work, gain experience with consensus process and cooperative business, and help shape the future of Treasure City. We look forward to talking with you!
• Experience or interest in horizontally-run projects and workplaces
• Dedication to the mission of Treasure City — willingness to work hard to make it happen!
• Experience or interest in working with a wide variety of people
• Experience with and interest in learning about an anti-oppression framework
• Ability to work independently and manage your own time in a busy environment, completing a variety of
customer service, physical, and administrative tasks
• Ability and willingness to lift up to 50 lbs. repeatedly
• Ability and willingness to work on your feet for most of the day
• Ability and willingness to withstand heat, cold, rude customers, chaos, and gross stuff
• Weekend, weekday, and some holiday availability
• Bilingual (Spanish and English)
• Schedule of 30-35 hours per week
All of these would be helpful, though none are required. We will train the right person.
• Building/construction/maintenance skills
• QuickBooks, general accounting knowledge
• Relationships with local organizations, neighborhoods, or communities
• Experience in any of the following:
- Retail and other service industries
- Merchandising and display
- Non-profit management
- Financial planning
- Reuse and waste diversion
- Cooperative workplace development
- Small business management
- Promotion, publicity, event production
- Web and print design
- Consensus process
- Tech and Computer Knowledge
About Treasure City Thrift
Treasure City is a worker-run non-profit organization that operates a thrift store at 2142 E. 7th St. in East Austin and provides a variety of goods and services to local grassroots non-profit organizations.
Our mission: Treasure City, a worker-run non-profit, supports local groups working for grassroots change.
Treasure City is horizontally-run; there are no bosses here! The staff works closely with each other and are jointly responsible for maintaining the store and organization, and furthering our mission. We operate by consensus and strive to create a workplace where everyone’s time is valued equally and where we share the hard work, the fun stuff, and the decision-making power.